Right now, women, children and men fleeing war, persecution and conflict need our support. Yet just when the UK needs to uphold its commitments to refugees, the Nationality and Borders Bill moves closer to becoming law. This bill will make it harder than ever for people who come here to seek safety, and people already in the UK caught in a broken asylum system.
On Wednesday 20th October, JRS UK will be joining with other grassroots refugee organisations for a Refugees Welcome Rally at Parliament Square.
In advance of the Rally, refugee friends of JRS UK, volunteers, staff and supporters will join together with other Catholic and Christian organisations to gather in prayer and solidarity before the rally. We’ll be gathering at Sacred Heart Church on Horseferry Road for a short prayer service, and then walking together to Parliament Square. It’s a short walk of just under a mile.
You are welcome to join us for any part – or all – of the day.
What’s happening when
|3:15 pm – 4:00 pm
|Refugees Welcome Prayer Service
We’ll come together to share in a prayerful liturgy and light candles in memory of those who have lost their lives on their journeys.
|4:00 – 4:30 pm
|Walk of Witness
Route map below
We’ll walk together from Sacred Heart Church to Parliament Square.
Anyone wanting to join the walk of witness, meet us outside the church at 4pm.
This route takes us past the Home Office – where we will pause for a short prayer together.
|4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
|Refugees Welcome Rally
Hear from refugees and add your voice to the movement to welcome them. Bring along your own banner or placard sharing your own message.
I want to come – what do I do?
So we can keep track of numbers, please do let Nick know if you can make it: email@example.com or call him on 07935 495 767
Some things to consider
- Face covering – if you join us for the Prayer Service please do wear a face covering if you can as we’ll be inside. We’d also encourage you to wear a face covering in Parliament Square – as although we’ll be outside, the square will be full of people showing refugees are welcome here.
- Make a banner for the rally – JRS UK will be bringing some along, we’d encourage you to bring your own!
- Bring a bottle of water with you and some snacks
- Wear comfy shoes – although the walk itself s about a mile, the rally itself will be mostly standing.
- Dress for varied weather – the Rally is being held in mid-October, and we’ll be outside most of the day. Please dress appropriately.
We know that our communities can be generous and welcoming and that many people want to do more for those who come here for safety. Through our prayer and action, we want to show the Government that we oppose this Bill, and that we want evryone to have the chance to live in dignity and be a welcoming society.